I. Position Overview
The Community Addictions Counsellor plays a crucial role in:
- Promoting Isuarsivik Regional Recovery Centre as an Inuit culturally sensitive recovery center offering distinctive and specific programs to deal with all kind of addictions and intergenerational trauma;
- Ensure the supply of specialized Community addictions services to support the recovery of Nunavimmiut in their home community;
- Offer support services to clients of the recovery centre to ensure their physical and mental well-being after the treatment program and ensure proper support services are in place when clients return to their home community (aftercare; specialized services; etc.).
II. Purpose of Position
Under the direction of the Coordinator – Continued Care Services, the Community Addictions Counsellor is responsible for providing community-based specialized addictions services to Nunavimmiut engaged in a recovery journey. The Community Addictions Counselors work with clients to establish an individual intervention plan that will address addiction issues and other related problems.
III. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluate, support and counsel clients who are admitted in the Nunavik Wellness Court (Judicial Treatment Program) pilot project in collaboration with the Saqijuq local team;
- Provide after-care and follow-up interventions to clients who underwent treatment using appropriate techniques and approaches;
- Counsel individuals and family members affected by a loved one’s substance-abuse issues;
- Collaborate with other local and regional resources (youth and family workers, community wellness workers, mental-health and suicide-prevention workers, treatment centres, health centres’ key interveners in addictions) to assist the clients in accessing services; for example, facilitate access to detoxification, treatment and specialized addictions services;
- Collaborate toward regional and local public-awareness as well as addictions-prevention initiatives;
- Facilitate the creation and maintenance of self-help/therapeutic groups in respect of the community development approach.
- Cegep diploma in a discipline of social intervention;
- 2 years in the field of social intervention and/or counsellor;
- Experience in the field of social intervention, addictions, or wellness
Knowledge and Skills
- Personal and professional experience in a cross-cultural setting;
- Ability to draft reports, documents and work plans on a computer;
- Strong ability to work independently and/or in a team;
- Ability to work outside standard office hours;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Candidate must be willing to submit to a criminal records check.
- Ability to read, write and speak English and Inuktitut is mandatory.
V. Work Environment
- Isuarsivik is undergoing a major development process that requires flexibility, creativity and adaptability;
- The incumbent must balance multiple demands and urgent requests from guests, staff and partners;
- Must be prepared to meet the personal and professional challenges associated with living in a northern, isolated community with limited resources.
- Working conditions are based on Nunavik’s health and social services network.
- Salary will be determined depending on qualifications and experience.
- Probation period.
SEND APPLICATION BY EMAIL OR FAX TO:
Human Resources Manager
Isuarsivik Regional Recovery Centre
P.O. Box 749
Kuujjuaq, Quebec (CANADA) J0M 1C0
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. HOWEVER, WE THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR INTEREST.