I. Position Overview
The Trauma Addictions Counsellor plays a crucial role in:
- Promoting Isuarsivik as an Inuit culturally sensitive recovery center offering distinctive and specific programs to deal with all kind of addictions and intergenerational trauma;
- Group and individual counselling, facilitating, preparing lecture packages and documentation of guest activities.
II. Purpose of Position
Under the direction of the Recovery Program Manager, the Trauma Addictions Counsellor is responsible for the program delivery and the day-to-day experience of guests during their time at the Centre.
III. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the intake process of guests applications;
- Prepares guest kits in preparation for the new cycle;
- Completes the intake process with assigned guests upon arrival;
- Assesses phases of withdrawal and reports any concerns regarding intake assessment results to supervisor if needed;
- Assists guests in identifying problem areas, setting goals and aftercare plans;
- Responsible for medication distribution according to medication protocol;
- Ensures guests are abiding by House Rules, participating in the treatment program, and are aware of the consequences of non-participation;
- Addresses concerns and forwards them to supervisor if needed;
- Undertakes periodic room checks for cleanliness and/or prohibited substances;
- Advises supervisor informed as to any concerns relating to guests and/or activities at the Centre.
- Creates guest files, records and reports for assigned guests;
- Maintains a complete file on each assigned guest which includes (running record regarding guest behaviour, attitude, activities and progress for the entire stay at the Centre);
- Maintains guest confidentiality up to and including the destruction of records according to the Records Management process.
- Prepares the Centre (classroom, supplies, activities etc.) for the new cycle;
- Delivers program information according to the developed program;
- Ensures the guests understand the presentation/lecture and material;
- Observes and participates in group discussions and counselling with guests;
- Plans, implements and participates in group activities;
- Transports guests when required.
- Attends daily clinical team meeting and provides feedback to other counselling staff;
- Participates in fund-raising activities as required or directed;
- Completes and submits required incident reports to supervisor;
- Maintains confidentiality of staff and guests;
- On-call during the cycle;
- Performs other related tasks duties assigned by the Program Recovery Manager of Isuarsivik.
- University degree in a discipline of social intervention;
- Ministry recognized certification and in good standing with their professional order.
- 3-5 years as an addiction’s counsellor (inpatient and/or outpatient program);
- Experience in counseling guests who present sexual abuse trauma;
- Experience in facilitation would be considered an asset.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Personal and professional experience in a cross-cultural setting;
- Ability to draft reports, documents and work plans on a computer;
- Strong ability to work independently and/or in a team;
- Ability to work outside standard office hours;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of programs, including Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Candidate must be willing to submit to a criminal records check.
- Ability to read, write and speak Inuktitut as well as English are mandatory;
- Ability to read, write and speak French is an asset.
V. Work Environment
- Isuarsivik Recovery Centre is undergoing a major development process that requires flexibility, patience, creativity and adaptability;
- The incumbent must balance multiple demands and urgent requests from guests, staff and partners;
- Must be prepared to meet the personal and professional challenges associated with living in a northern, isolated community with limited resources.
- Working conditions are based on Nunavik’s health and social services network;
- Salary will be determined depending on qualifications and experience;
- Probation period;
- Cost of living differential, transport to and from hiring point (province of Québec) and low rent fee for accommodation are included in Isuarsivik’s employee benefit package.
SEND APPLICATION BY EMAIL OR FAX TO:
Human Resources Manager
Isuarsivik Regional Recovery Centre
P.O. Box 749
Kuujjuaq, Quebec (CANADA)
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. HOWEVER, WE THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR INTEREST.